Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Biggest Lesson I Learned From My Dad

 My dad was a classical pianist. Not professionally. He was actually a dentist professionally but he
was a great pianist. When I was really little I remember sneaking out of bed and sitting around the corner out of sight so I could listen to him play. I guess as a guy who worked all day long and had a family this was his only time to sit down and lose himself in his music. I have to admit at times it would bring tears to my eyes the stuff he would play and how great it sounded. But he was forced into a career as a dentist by his parents because of their expectations. He always approached his dentistry like an artist and with such great care cause that was the kind of soul he was. But he did not like it. Growing up I would always hear him say "If I could do it all over I would do anything to be a concert pianist". In my naivety I would ask why he could not do that.  And he would say that he has a career and a family and it just isn't possible anymore. Now as an adult I get that and honor him for sticking in a career he was not happy with cause he wanted to provide for his family. But hearing that message of "if only" and "what if" was very powerful. And even as a young kid when I could not even fully absorb the weight of that sentiment, I still heard it loud and clear. He would often times come home upset from work and while he never took it out on his family I knew he wasn't happy and was most of the time stressed out. Then the bomb dropped on our family a few months before I was to start my freshman year in high school. My dad was diagnosed with liver cancer. I'll never forget where I was when I heard the news. Odd how that stuff sticks with you. After months and years of coming home stressed and unhappy this is how things turn out? And for some reason how I translated that was "you go to work everyday in a job you dislike only to have it cause you this?". I decided from there I was not going to take that path. The path of what other's expect you to do and the path of wondering "what if". I never wanted to waste my life regretting and wishing I had. When I look back now at the incredibly fortunate career I have had I realize that even if I left music behind today I could never say "what if". I have achieved more than I ever thought I could. I have played and toured with people I grew up seeing on MTV and I have played everything from small dive bars to packed arena's. What a dream come true it has been so far. Sometimes I get so fed up with the music business that I contemplate doing something else. Sometimes the business of music can be frustrating and it can overshadow the reason why I started doing this in the first place. But fortunately I can never say "I wish I had". I used see tour buses on the road and say "One day I am gonna be on one of those". And I have. Many times over. I used to go to big rock shows as a kid at local arena's and wonder what it was like to be on that stage looking out. And now I know what that feels like. All my career I have toured with signed and established artists playing their music, and even though I didn't write the songs myself it is still an amazing feeling to look out and see people singing along to every word. And the excitement they feel and express watching their favorite artist perform those songs is an incredible experience to say the least. While there are still a few things left to cross off my list, I have done and experienced more than I ever thought I would. Whoever thought practicing bass in my room would lead to having the opportunity to tour all over the world. After spending up to eight hours a day practicing I went for it and relocated to Los Angeles to see where this could take me. Cause I never wanted to say "I wish I had tried".

  After thirty years of being in a career my dad was never happy with he retired and tried his hand at the things he felt he always missed out on. He let his artist and creative side emerge. He tried his hand at acting, stand up comedy, and even wrote a book. He would have gone for the music thing too but 30 years of dentistry left his hands with permanent carpal tunnel syndrome.  But during his time of him being able to explore his artist side he actually seemed at times happier and more content with life. Unfortunately after 5 relapses of cancer it finally took his life in 2008, ten years after his retirement. And he was never a truly happy human being even though to everyone around him he was the kindest and most generous person around. Sometimes I wonder if I followed and set out to fulfill his dream of being a musician or my own. But nonetheless I always have had music running through my blood and to this day whoever's dream it is I could not be more satisfied I went for it instead of wondering what if.

13 comments:

  1. Dave, what a beautiful blog post.

    I'm so sorry for your loss. I can tell that even though your dad's life was cut short, you were so enriched by the time you spent with your dad and you learned alot of life lessons from him. I can tell he was an amazing man.

    I'm going to show this blog to my children. I see so many similarities with your life, and what they might be experiencing. As a parent, I am always concerned that I may be subconsciously 'leading them' into an area they don't love, and have passion about. Our influence is there, even though we many not know it. Personally, I'm thrilled that you pursued your dreams....you are a talented musician!!!

    Thanks again for making me think....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a nice comment! Thanks Mary Lou. It is surprising the things we pick up on as kids that ends up affecting us later on in as adults. Thanks so much for taking the time to read this!! Glad we are still in touch post David Archie tours

      Delete
  2. What a great gift he gave to you in that lesson. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dave - I also lost my dad to cancer, its been 9 years this past week actually. He too, worked hard all his life to help support our family, that was first and foremost. He gave up his dream back as a teenager, he was accepted to Standford University to play football, but instead decided to take a career path with the Air Force. It's all about the time that we are living in, what the situation is... we all have dreams and it is so great to those that are able to pursue them & to be able to love what you do just makes the journey all the more richer. I believe your dad def had a hand at leading you in the right direction :)

    Wish some of your musical talents from your Filice side came over to my Felice side - LOL

    All the best for whats ahead :)

    Angela Felice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure he carried a bit of that heartbreak of "what if" with his football dream throughout his whole life. And I am sorry to hear about your loss as well. I know Mary Lou shares the pain of loss to cancer as well. Thanks to all of you that took the time to read this blog! It means a lot to me especially all of you Archie's that have kept up with me after touring with David. There will definitely be a blog coming soon about my experiences touring with David and other tour's I've been on.

      Delete
  4. Dave,

    You honor your dad with this. I plan to pass this on to my 2 children in their 20's. Such wisdom. You can proudly carry on your legacy of great creativity from your dad..I know, I have heard that amazing bass on several occasions! Tears and hugs! Jana Oregon

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just read Marylou's comment! Incredible that we both thought to show this to our kids...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for sharing your experience and the lessons you learned from your father. This is just the kind of experience that led me to work in Employee Assistance. I have seen the damage caused from "hating your job"
    I appreciate your blog and look forward to hearing about your experience with David and other artists.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for sharing your story of your Dad with us, Dave & what you learned under his guidance. It touched my heart ♥

    Mary Lavoie aka Marylee_DAangel ~ North Carolina

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dave, I am very impressed with your ability and willingness to be verbally expressive. You have seemed shy at times, yet personable and kind. ( I guess you get that from your dad.) The musical and artistic side don't always connect with verbal skills (i.e. Archie) I love that you are on the Ride of Your Life and you are going to share it with us! I loved being in the audience at the IDOL finale when you played with Bono and the Edge. We seriously could hear the bass reverberating throughout the whole place! We were so excited for you that night.
    Well, I am looking forward to more of your thoughtful musings. Cass

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dave, Thank you so much for sharing. What a great lesson to learn! So glad you won't ever have to ask yourself 'what if' because we've all been blessed to have you share your talent and your friendship with us. Look forward to your future writing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dave this blog is so heartwarming. Thanks so much for sharing your story. By following your dreams your Dad is seeing how much you paid attentions to what he was telling you.He would be ever so proud of the wonderful young man that you are.I am so happy that you are doing what you love. Best wishes to you always and keep dreaming.

    ReplyDelete